Library Media Center
Welcome to the SHS library web page. Our library collection has over 25,000 books, ebooks, and materials. We offer a wide variety of magazines and subscribe to the state and local newspapers. Chromebooks has been a recent addition to classrooms as part of the Sumter School District 1:Global initiative. You will find research is made easy through several of our online subscriptions such as DISCUS and Questia. We offer 27 computer stations for student use downstairs in the library media center and 50 computers upstairs in the technology center. Student and curriculum support for classrooms, as well as programs such as AVID, AP and IB, are a primary function of the library media center. We are fully staffed with knowledgeable personnel who can answer any of your questions. We are located in the center of A, B, C, and D halls.
Monday – Thursday 7:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M.
Friday 7:30 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Technology Center Hours
Monday – Friday 8:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Ext. 6219 or Ext. 6236
Meet Our Library Staff
- Mrs. Coleman – Chromebooks
- Mrs. Norris – Circulation Desk
- Mrs. Steltzer – Collection Development
Meet our Library Media Specialist
Ronda H. Speed, MLIS
Mrs. Speed is a graduate of the University of South Carolina, where she earned her Bachelor’s of Arts in Education and her Master’s degree in Library and Information Science. She is an IB certified school librarian. Mrs. Speed loves learning new technology, helping others, and promoting literacy. She has a daughter, Katie, who also teaches at Sumter High School. Mrs. Speed and her family have been a part of the Sumter Community since 1992. You can contact Mrs. Speed by email at email@example.com.
Policies and Procedures
- Students must have a pass from a teacher or administrator to come to the library before school, during school, and during lunch. After school students do not need a pass.
- Cell Phones are allowed in the library but headphones must be used. Absolutely no phone calls should be made in the library.
- Students must sign in on the computer when entering the library.
Computer & Printing Information:
- Students must have an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) on file in order to use any computer or device in the district.
- DO NOT share your username or password with any student.
- Computers are for educational purposes only, any other use can result in losing computer privileges and/or having your account disabled.
- Students must abide by the school code of conduct and follow the rules outlined in the AUP.
- Printing cost .10 cents per page to print in the library and/or the technology center.
- Chromebooks follow the same rules and policies as mentioned in the AUP.
- Students must have a completed Chromebook User Agreement, signed by a parent or guardian, in order to rent a Chromebook. The rental fee is $20.00 per year.
- Chromebooks need to be fully charged each morning.
- Repair charges for Chromebooks are outlined in the Parent/Student Handbook.
- Students are allowed to check out 7 books at a time.
- Books are allowed to be checked out for 2 weeks at a time with the exception of Reference books and certain special collection books.
- Students with fines over $30.00 are not allowed to check out books until the fine is paid.
- Books must be brought back in order to renew it.
- Students are responsible for the replacement cost of any lost or damaged library material.
- Magazines can be checked out overnight only.
- Newspapers cannot be checked out.
- Student library privileges can be restricted or revoked if needed.
- Overdue fines are .10 cents a day for regular circulation with a maximum fine of $2.00 and reference are .25 cents a day with a maximum of $5.00 (We do not count weekends or holidays).
- Unpaid fines/fees stay with the student until their senior year. Seniors will not be permitted to walk on graduation day if they owe any unpaid fines.