Library Media CenterHow may we help you?
Library Book Return
There is a blue cart in the front foyer of the school to return library books. Please return books during operating hours. The school is open Mondays 9:00 am – 12:30 pm. (Books from other SSD schools can be returned to Sumter High or the school for which it belongs.)
Monday – Thursday 7:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M.
Friday 7:30 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Technology Center Hours
Monday – Friday 8:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Ext. 6219 or Ext. 6236
Meet Our Library Staff
- Mrs. Coleman – Chromebooks
- Mrs. Norris – Circulation Desk
Meet our Library Media Specialist
Ronda H. Speed, MLIS, NBCT
Mrs. Speed is a graduate of the University of South Carolina, where she earned her Bachelor’s of Arts in Education and her Master’s degree in Library and Information Science. She is an IB certified school librarian and recently earned her National Board certification. Mrs. Speed loves learning new technology, helping others, and promoting literacy. She has a daughter who also teaches at Sumter High School. Mrs. Speed and her family have been a part of the Sumter Community since 1992. You can contact Mrs. Speed by email at email@example.com.
Policies and Procedures
- Students must have a pass from a teacher or administrator to come to the library before school, during school, and during lunch. After school students do not need a pass.
- Cell Phones are allowed in the library but headphones must be used. Absolutely no phone calls should be made in the library.
- Students must sign in on the computer when entering the library.
Computer & Printing Information:
- Students must have an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) on file in order to use any computer or device in the district.
- DO NOT share your username or password with any student.
- Computers are for educational purposes only, any other use can result in losing computer privileges and/or having your account disabled.
- Students must abide by the school code of conduct and follow the rules outlined in the AUP.
- Printing cost .10 cents per page to print in the library and/or the technology center.
- Chromebooks follow the same rules and policies as mentioned in the AUP.
- Students must have a completed Chromebook User Agreement, signed by a parent or guardian, in order to rent a Chromebook. The rental fee is $20.00 per year.
- Chromebooks need to be fully charged each morning.
- Repair charges for Chromebooks are outlined in the Parent/Student Handbook.
- Students are allowed to check out 7 books at a time.
- Books are allowed to be checked out for 2 weeks at a time with the exception of Reference books and certain special collection books.
- Students with fines over $30.00 are not allowed to check out books until the fine is paid.
- Books must be brought back in order to renew it.
- Students are responsible for the replacement cost of any lost or damaged library material.
- Magazines can be checked out overnight only.
- Newspapers cannot be checked out.
- Student library privileges can be restricted or revoked if needed.
- Overdue fines are .10 cents a day for regular circulation with a maximum fine of $2.00 and reference are .25 cents a day with a maximum of $5.00 (We do not count weekends or holidays).
- Unpaid fines/fees stay with the student until their senior year. Seniors will not be permitted to walk on graduation day if they owe any unpaid fines.
AASL Best Apss for Teaching and Learning
AASL Best Websites for Teaching and Learning